If going through a medical concern, an ultrasound is surely necessary and shouldn’t be ignored. It is a necessary part of parental care. But with health and medications come tough situations and difficulties too.
Are you worried about ultrasound being safe or not? Does ultrasound have any risks? There are several questions that come to mind and here is everything you need to know about it.
What is an Ultrasound?
Ultrasound also known as sonography is a medical scanning procedure that captures live images from inside your body with the help of high-frequency sound waves. However, unlike others, it uses no radiation. Be it organ problems, vessels, or tissue issues, doctors can easily see any symptoms with the help of ultrasound.
Are there any risks of ultrasound?
Unlike other scans, Ultrasounds are known for no risks involved. Be it the sound waves used in an Ultrasound scan or exposure to radiation, both internal and external ultrasound scans are free from risks and side effects.
Even though you may feel a moment of discomfort, they are generally painless. However, endoscopic ultrasounds are painful and can also result in temporary side effects on the body such as bloating or a sore throat.
In some cases, there are also possibilities of more serious consequences such as internal hemorrhage. Besides, if you’re prone to allergies during an internal ultrasound scan, then a wise decision is to let your doctor know about it so that they can take precautions accordingly.
Side effects of ultrasound on the body
Here are some side effects of ultrasound on the body :
- As ultrasound relates to all sound waves along with a frequency that is above the normal human audible range of hearing it can cause damage to the human body. So even though ultrasound cannot be heard by humans, it can cause direct damage to ears at high decibels.
- Another side effect of ultrasound is cavitations which are small bubbles of gas. And when exposed to extreme negative pressure, the hormone gets released. Therefore, these bubbles have the potential to rupture tissues as well as cells.
Tips to prepare yourself before an Ultrasound
For an ultrasound Narellan here are some preparations that you need to follow :
- Before the scanning process, drink water and do not go to the toilet until the scan isn’t done.
- Before the scanning process, avoid drinking as well as eating for hours.
- Depending on the area of examination, the hospital may ask you to remove clothing and wear a gown given by the hospital.
Ultrasound has been used for years!
Once your ultrasound in Narellan procedure is done you can go home soon. You can also eat, drive, drink or do usual normal activities if any sedative wasn’t used. In some cases, you can expect the results of your scan early, but in some situations, the images will need to be analyzed and then followed by sending the report to the doctor. If required, they will later discuss the matter with you.